Saturday, May 16, 2009

NFBC Satellite Draft

This year, I decided to test the waters in the NFBC, I wasn't quite ready to jump into a $1,300 main event league team, or even a $325 online team............so I settled for the $125 satellite. My intentions are to learn the system, which has NO TRADES, Free Agent Bidding, and Weekly Lineups.............all things I am not particularly familiar with. The winner of the 15 team satellite gets an entry into the 2010 Main Event, which, if I won, is no problem, since one of the drafting cities, is the Second City and that's where I reside.

Onto the draft, with 15 teams, no trades and 30 man rosters, it is important to draft EVERYTHING you are going to need to compete. The free agent pool isn't likely to have a ton of value in it, although there will be some gems out there. My goal was to be more focused on SP than usual and grab a couple of top arms, along with a few good but underrated arms. As for bats, I wanted to get SB's early and then grab undervalued bats later to fill in the roster.


1
Jose Reyes
SS
2
Prince Fielder
1B
3
Tim Lincecum
SP
4
Chipper Jones
3B
5
Dan Uggla
2B
6
Adam Dunn
LF
7
Chad Billingsley
SP
8
Brian Fuentes
CL
9
Milton Bradley
RF
10
Justin Upton
RF
11
Mark Reynolds
3B
12
Justin Verlander
SP
13
Joel Hanrahan
CL
14
Felipe Lopez
2B
15
Aaron Harang
SP
16
Mike Cameron
CF
17
J.J. Putz
MR
18
Chris Snyder
C
19
Jeff Francoeur
RF
20
Kelvim Escobar
MR
21
Nick Johnson
1B
22
Matt LaPorta
RF
23
Miguel Olivo
C
24
Brian Giles
RF
25
Clay Buchholz
SP
26
Hong-Chih Kuo
MR
27
Chris Duncan
LF
28
Dallas Braden
SP
29
Erick Aybar
SS
30
Jeff Niemann
SP


I loved getting Lincecum in the 3rd and Billingsley in the 7th....also delighted to grab Verlander and Harang in the 12th and 15th respectively, for a league like this, it is insane to be able to grab grab 2 guys with 200K and 15 win potential. If I made one major mistake it was not getting at least one top 15 catcher. In a league like this with 2 starting catchers and really no free agent pool at the position, it is important to grab at least one top 15 player at that position.

Nick Johnson in the 21st and Chris Duncan in the 27th have been huge for me especially with the slow starts of Milton Bradley and Justin Upton, I had the depth to absorb it. At the time of the draft I felt both Fuentes and Hanrahan were undervalued (it hasn't looked that way now that they have started playing).

I am excited to see how this team turns out and if I like the NFBC style..........

No comments:

Post a Comment