Monday, May 10, 2010

Time Value of Money

A very wise person warned me that betting futures isn't generally the best allocation of funds for someone with a small bankroll (anything under 100k).

Of course, I didn't listen and plopped down $500 on a future wager on March 19, 2010. This wager will be settled September 1, 2010....and the wager had a 19% edge. Pretty substantial for any bet.............then I wanted to barf when thinking about this...............if I had simply NOT bet the future and bet on various other opportunities that came up over the course of the 23 weeks...........even at a conservative 2% advantage and rolling that $500 over once a week.........my $500 would have accrued an expected value of $288 ($788 total), instead of the $95 that I garnered with that future bet.

I should listen to those wiser than I

1 comment: