Friday, March 20, 2009

Chris Liss speaks to me.....

I was reading through some Q&A on Yahoo's Friends and Family draft and came across this nugget from Chris Liss - Managing Editor of Rotowire

"And that was my strategy – to go safe for six rounds, then pay the vig for players who could be in the top 25 in next year’s drafts"

He was expounding on the question that asked why he selected Justin Upton in the 7th round of the 14 team mixed roto draft. In a subsequent Fantasy Focus podcast he went a little further with the idea. (Paraphrasing) In this particular draft, after I took Upton in round 7, I shifted gears and searched for guys that were close to that draft area that had large upside, Jayson Werth was another guy I grabbed shortly after because he has 30/30 potential. He later noted that a league of that size isn't necessarily the ideal league to do this in, as a smaller league would be better, one that had a reasonable talent in the free agent pool.

In other words, in a tougher league or a smaller league with more free agent talent, embrace variance and take guys with large upside potential. It could be the difference between finishing 4th and 5th consistently and finishing 1st or 7th.............I don't need to tell you which one pays better.

No comments:

Post a Comment