Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Fantasy Draft Day

Today is the first of what I hope to be several fantasy baseball drafts.

A couple of notes for draft day........

1) Get a good nights sleep (I didn't, I was up most of the night with acid reflux, but tough shit, I don't need a lot of sleep to function, but most do).

2) By now, you should've done enough mock drafts to feel comfortable with the player pool and you should have your predraft rankings set in whatever software you are using. If you do not, time to cram for this exam.

3) Email other owners and find out what they are thinking today. I don't think this is critical, but it might give you a tip to a run that could occur that you could possibly prepare for, and it gives you insight into what an owner might think is valuable when you need to trade later.

I spoke to a few owners over the last week or so, and they have given me a few thoughts on their general strategy, nothing that will change any of my ideas, but it will give me a basis for their thinking later on.

4) DO NOT read anything, but current injury reports on players that you are following up on, or for players that have something consequential occur. Most reports are mainly noise and shouldn't supercede the work you have already done.

5) This is most important, LET THE MARKET DO WHAT IT WILL................Fantasy drafts are markets, allow them to act (often irrationally) and pick up the value where you can.

It is important to not worry about what others will think of your picks, I have been doing plenty of mocks to prepare for this draft and people have openly made fun of me selecting Rickie Weeks in the 16th round of a 10 team mixed. Based on our format, and his BP projections, he is of good value at this round. Just allow your analysis to guide you and don't panic at any point.

Happy Draft Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment