Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Calling for Value

In todays game of poker, especially no limit holdem tournament poker, I love calling for value..............ex/last night, I played a low limit sng, raised with AQo and was called by the button (an active player that was raising and continuation betting a lot)............flop comes 10,8,2 rainbow, I check, he bets, I call, turn 4, I check, he bets, I call, river is another 4, I check, he bets, I call, felt my AQo for the winner.

The moral of the story is that sometimes checking and calling the bet of an active player is the best way to get value.............in this particular example, this player probably would've folded his KJo the second I lobbed a bet out there, but he would bet mostly every flop that he missed, and I would certainly be ahead of his range enough of the time to warrant calling a flop in this spot. This type of play works even better with small pairs when you have an active and aggressive player who will be no matter what they hold.....................value is value and you don't always have to bet to get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment