Saturday, April 11, 2009

Jason Motte

Yep, I chose to watch the abomination that was Jason Motte's 2nd appearance in the closer role in which he was able to get only one out, put two men on base and then get pulled for Kyle McClellan (Motte did obtain a HOLD, which I think is ridiculous considering his poor performance, but I'll take it in my leagues that recognize them). This is two in a row and even though LaRussa was quoted after the game as saying it is a work in process, it definitely concerns me............here is the question..........What to do with Jason Motte?

These questions arise from time to time and taking a deliberate approach is often best, here are my scenarios.

1) Cut bait with Motte - in most leagues that I am in that use Holds, I can grab a Brian Bruney from NYY or Juan Cruz from KC, or the like...........those guys are available and should remain available until they rack up a few more holds and someone notices their silly K rates. In 5 X 5 leagues, there are already 0 closers out there, so dumping Motte would only be something of interest if we need a different type of player or category........plus, I couldn't tell you who is going to close if they don't use Motte, considering the best candidate is currently closing for Memphis

2) Keep Motte and wait it out - in 5 X 5, I would guess this is the best way to go, since the worst that can happen has already happened and you have nothing but upside. Plus, most of the leagues I am in that don't count holds, still have all of the "closer in waiting" middle relievers rostered.

3) Trade Motte - only in a super deep league in which you have owners willing to speculate. Even then, you probably shouldn't use this option unless you are desperate for a certain category or position and this owner is willing to give you a little taste of it..........

So my conclusion is to keep Jason Motte until Tony LaRussa stops running him out there, or until I hear that Chris Perez is being called up from Memphis............

No comments:

Post a Comment