Thursday, April 9, 2009

League Draft #2

Now that the season has started, my goal is to get through all of my league drafts in short order, so that I can start with in season advice and strategies and various other thoughts.

The following is a 14 team mixed roto league, once again 6 X 6 (includes OBP and Holds). I added a bunch of people that I haven't played much with and some old friends, 25 man roster, with 12 active hitters, 6 active pitchers and a 7 player bench.

Here is the draft with commentary to follow...........

1. (11) Lance Berkman
2. (18) Carlos Beltrán
3. (39) Chipper Jones
4. (46) Jonathan Papelbon
5. (67) Joey Votto
6. (74) Jay Bruce
7. (95) Jhonny Peralta
8. (102) Jonathan Broxton
9. (123) Chris Young
10. (130) Carlos Zambrano
11. (151) Ricky Nolasco
12. (158) Cristian Guzmán
13. (179) Felipe López
14. (186) Adam LaRoche
15. (207) Cameron Maybin
16. (214) Ian Stewart
17. (235) Mike Cameron
18. (242) Gil Meche
19. (263) Jonathan Sánchez
20. (270) Hiroki Kuroda
21. (291) Jeff Clement
22. (298) Jon Rauch
23. (319) Dámaso Marte
24. (326) Octavio Dotel
25. (347) Pedro Feliz

My general strategy in a draft like this, with a bunch of newcomers is to draft value and make sure my team has enough of pretty much everything to be a factor. I also like to hold off on SP's because most inexperienced teams like to grab SP's before they are truly valuable.

Picking out of the 11th hole in a 14 teamer is definitely one of the worst spots in the draft. I might have made a mistake drafting Berkman 1st instead of Kinsler who went next. After that, grabbing Beltran and then Chipper Jones, both of these players are high on my list. I went Papelbon in the 4th, which is standard operating procedure for me, but I am starting to see the light about NOT spending such a high pick on a closer, even if he is a no brainer #1 closer.

Round 5, Joey Votto is on many of my teams, I am highly invested in him across most of my leagues...........same thing for Broxton in Round 8, who really should've been my first closer. Everything I have read and all of the projections I have seen show that Broxton really has top 5 closer potential, but is generally going off of the board much later than that group.

Round 11, Ricky Nolasco was an absolute steal, my only regret was not grabbing Josh Johnson in round 12 (he went in round 13).

Other notable picks, Cameron in the 15th, grabbing a 20/20 guy here, is absolutely insane, especially one with his consistent track record and a few more value pitchers with Meche in the 18th and Kuroda in the 20th, you are looking at solid guys who put together decent ratios, and in Meche's case 180K's, these guys should not be sitting there for a team that went with no premium arms to grab.

I might be a tad bit short on power as I don't have a guy like Adam Dunn to solidify my power, but I have enough balance that if I hit upside power on Bruce or Votto, I should be in decent shape.

Next up, AL and NL Only drafts

No comments:

Post a Comment